Ultimate Frisbee

At the beginning of the semester I randomly decided to try out Ultimate Frisbee. I wanted a reason to be active, and this was my cheapest option to be honest. I didn’t think I’d really get into it, but now two months in it’s my favorite time of the week! I love the game! And it turns out that there is so much more to it that I ever thought from playing back home. My team is small, but that has brought us together. Honestly, my frisbee team are my best friends here. We have so many wonderful adventures outside of frisbee. Last night was a pizza night with Cranium. But just this last weekend we went to Crystal Creek! Which is this absolutely stunning river up by Paluma Rainforest.

The funny story with this is that we had agreed as a frisbee team to go to Alligator Creek since it was closer. Well, our driver clearly heard wrong, because one minute we were jamming out and the next we were up at Paluma. It was hilarious, because there was only four of us and the rest of our frisbee family was at Alligator. We ended up staying and just enjoying ourselves, and then we met up with everyone later for a movie night.

Things in Australia are very similar to home, but different in subtle ways. Life is a laid back party here. There isn’t the stress and pressure on students that I face back home. It’s okay here to take a few gap years to just travel around and see the world. Also, the government pays for most of Australian’s college. So the pressure to get out of school and make tons of money to pay off student loans is just not there, and thus most Australians are very laid back and comfortable about school. They will go out the the clubs twice or more a week! And it’s no big deal at all to skip a lecture or two… or three. It’s a wonderful atmosphere that I have used to clear my head and gain some perspective for when I go back home.

I went to Magnetic Island a few weekends back and got to go bare-back horseback riding into the ocean in just my swim suit! It had to be one of the best moments of my life 🙂 I love all that I’m experiencing here in Oz. It will feel strange to come home when the time comes.