Celebration on the Beach!

I had a birthday that I wont ever forget here in Australia. My frisbee team brought me to Magnetic Island, and we hiked for a long way on the island. The scenery is just gorgeous there! We came to a secluded bay, and that’s where we put down out backpacks and rolled out our sleeping bags… literally right on the beach! It was one of the most fantastic nights of my life! The moon was full, and so it lit up the whole beach in it’s silver light. We played games all night long! We even played Marco Polo in the ocean πŸ˜€ And at the end of the night, we all hunkered down into our sleeping bags and fell asleep right there on the beach, listening to the waves crash on the shore.Β  The next morning I woke up to flowers and a coconut placed by my head. One of my friends had climbed a tree, gotten a coconut, and cut it open for me to have coconut milk for breakfast! We played a bit of frisbee on the beach before setting out to hike for the rest of the day. Like I said, one of the most memorable birthdays I’ve ever had!

I went diving on the great barrier reef! That was an experience I’m not sure words are going to be able to describe. I got to see the outer reef, and it was just beaming with colors and life! Everywhere I looked something was moving and living. It was so incredible the way everything worked together. Some of my favorite things were the giant clams, sea cucumbers, turtles, and the parrot fish. The parrot fish were exceptionally colorful, and I could hear as they chomped away at the coral. Ahhh, so much fun! We were out on the reef all day, but I swear I could have been there for 10 more days and still not have enough of it. I would love to go back someday to see more.

I have about a month left here in Australia, and a part of me is excited to see my loved ones back home, but another part of me is extremely sad. I’ve met some really incredible people here andΒ  I hate to leave them. We’ve all made deals that it’s their turn to come see me in the future πŸ™‚ I feel like I’ve grown and learned so much as an individual by being submersed in a culture and environment so different from home. I’m excited to Share all that I’ve experienced with everyone back home. Also, I’m excited to say that I am making a stop over in New Zealand on my way home, so I get a few days with that culture as well πŸ™‚

We saw this mother and her baby while hiking on the Island πŸ™‚

One Reply to “Celebration on the Beach!”

1. cspabroad

Your pictures are great, and your description of the Great Barrier Reef made me feel like I was there! A birthday you will always remember! -Courtney, CALL Center

Reply