4. The Break of all Breaks

Dear good people,

It has been about a month since my last post and so many things have happened since then. I am in the last week of my month long break. For the first two weeks I decided to hop around Europe. There are too many stories and adventures to be told than can fit into one blog post. So a quick overview of my adventures shall be given.

The first place I went to was Berlin. The city of Berlin seemed to me to be a just a big city. If everyone wasn’t speaking German I would think that I was in any old city. It took extra searching to find certain tourist attractions. The ones I visited were the Berlin Wall, the Berlin Dome [Cathedral], and the Brandenburg Gate. The Cathedral was by far the prettiest Cathedral I’ve ever visited. I got to climb to the top of it. What a view! The food that was eaten: Bratwurst.

The next day I took a train to Wittenberg like the good Lutheran that I am. Everything that is worth seeing is on the same general road: The Lutherhaus, Melanchthonhaus, the Castle church, the church that Luther preached a whole lot of sermons at, and the Marketplace with the statues. It’s a very cute town. However, much of it was under construction and renovation due to the Luther 500 happening in a couple years. So that was a tad disappointing. The food that was eaten: Spetzle and a Doner Kebab.

Copenhagen was the next destination. Danish is such a weird language. I feel like it’s harder to read than English. I spent three days there. It sure was lively at night. The architecture was beautiful. During a free walking tour I learned that the majority of the city burned down three separate times. Sheesh people. The main tourist area was Nyhavn [picture included]. I went to a couple museums and special buildings and cathedrals. Good thing they were all free! The food that was eaten: Danish Pastries and a Danish Hot Dog. [Special Copenhagen beer was also had]

The next plane took us to Dublin. Yay exit row seats! Yay English! Boy had I missed English. What a relief. My travel buddy and I met up with more travel buddies. We went to the Guinness Storehouse and drank some beer. The next day was one of my favorites. We took a day trip bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher. Our tour guide was delightful, kept us entertained during the long journey to the west coast of Ireland. When we got to the Cliffs of Moher we stepped out of the bus and were welcomed with the strongest wind you will ever experience. I could lean into the wind at a 45 degree angle and not fall over. A picture of the Cliffs is included. They are much more grand in person though. The Cliff have starred in a few movies like Harry Potter [6th movie, horcrux location] and The Princess Bride [The Cliffs of Insanity!]. On the way back to Dublin we stopped at a couple touristy places. The rest of the time we had in Dublin was spent exploring the city. Food that was eaten: Irish Breakfast, Seafood Chowder, and a Tart and a Scone from the Queen of Tarts.

Scotland was the next destination. Glasgow is not a very pretty city. Very industrial. Many drab buildings. We took another day trip bus tour. This time we explored the Scottish Highlands. Our guide was dressed in a kilt. Of course. He introduced us to some Highland deer and Highland cows, both of which we were permitted to feed and pet. We passed mountains and lakes [lochs]. I went on a boat across Loch Ness. Nessie unfortunately did not grant me a sighting. Shucks. After the tour we went out for some drinks. I ordered ice cream instead of beer. I declare that it was a good life choice. We took a train to Edinburgh the next day. This is my favorite city. Hands down. We went on a free walking tour. There are so many Harry Potter inspirations everywhere! [This was the city in which Rowling wrote Harry Potter  (The Elephant House)]. Bagpipes could be heard from any point in the city, street performers, there were cashmere shops, the castle up on the hill, and every street was picturesque. Easter Sunday was the last day of my adventures. We found a Catholic Church for Easter worship [nothing compared to a Lutheran Easter celebration, but you take what you can get].  After that I made my way by train, plane, and automobile back to Cambridge. Food that was eaten: Haggis panini, Haggis with Nachos, Haggis on a Pulled Pork Sandwich [haggis is my new favorite thing if you haven’t noticed], and Gelato.

Throughout the course of our travels, my travel buddy and I stayed in hostels. Because they’re cheap. And they are cheap for a reason. Imagine a small room of ten bunk beds, people of all types, and a bathroom to share. I slept with my backpack and purse next to me most nights to avoid thievery. The lack of privacy was unnerving and so was the lack of curfew. Alas, it is over and done with, but the memories prefer not to be revisited. Along with being cheap, saving money was rough. I wish I would’ve set a budget for each day. It would’ve probably ended up with fewer nights of going to sleep hungry. But all the food I did eat, I made sure it was special to the place I was [or cheap grocery food]. For example, Scotland and haggis. Mmmmmmm! I will have to practice making it.

During the last weeks of my stay here in Cambridge I will be working on paper and studying for exams. The end is near [in more than one way]. 5 more weeks and I’ll be using American money, eating Chipotle, and driving on the right [correct] side of the road. Not to mention I’ll be with loved ones. The excitement it real!!! Righto, that’s all I have for this month.

God’s Blessings!

Kara Zieroth

Berlin Wall

Berlin Wall

Brandenburg Gate

Brandenburg Gate

Castle Church Doors-95 Theses

Castle Church Doors-95 Theses

Luther Statue

Luther Statue

Nyhavn, Copenhagen

Nyhavn, Copenhagen

Copenhagen Castle

Copenhagen Castle

Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick’s Cathedral

11150453_10205010134546591_7372754719530951251_n

Loch Ness

Loch Ness

Highland Deer

Highland Deer

Highland Cow

Highland Cow

Glencoe, Scotland

Glencoe, Scotland

11130279_10205010745081854_3840687827459541992_n

Inspiration for Diagon Alley

Inspiration for Diagon Alley

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Castle

Tom Riddle Inspiration

Tom Riddle Inspiration