Studying Abroad – What You Should Know

My study abroad experience this past semester was everything that I imagined and much more!  It is crazy to think that I have already been home for about two weeks now.  Looking back on this incredible experience, I will now share some things that I think would be helpful to other students who are thinking about studying abroad in the future. 

First off, the most important thing that you have to do is to just take everything in and explore as much as you can.  You will never find a better time in your life to travel to all sorts of different cities and countries in such a short amount of time.  Our group definitely took advantage of that.  In just three and a half months, I was able to visit 26 different cities and 9 different countries throughout Europe.

Some of the other key things that people should know about studying abroad are: personal development/self-growth, saving money, comfortable walking shoes, prepare to sleep in a lot of different places, and to know that you will get lost sometimes.  Personal development and self-growth is something that you will for sure take away from studying abroad.  You will grow a lot as a person, and hopefully learn more about yourself.  

Saving up money and planning out your expenses is very, very, important.  In most cases, a lot of your weekends will be open to travel to other cities/countries, and you will want to make sure that you do not run out of money.  Having comfortable walking shoes is a must have because you will be walking more than you ever had in your entire life.  If you end up traveling on the weekends, be prepared to sleep in a lot of different places, like an airbnb type place, a hostel, or a hotel.

All in all, studying abroad was arguably the best decision that I have ever made, and it was a semester that I will never forget. 

Our group in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany