Greetings from London, England!

Hello everyone!  My name is Brittany Bernitt and I am a junior at CSP and I made the best decision of my life when I decided to come to London to study for the semester.  I have been here for a little over three weeks now and I have loved every minute of it!  I am shocked at how much I have already learned about not only British culture, but other cultures around the world as well.  The building I am staying in is filled with college students from around the world that are studying here in London.  I have managed to meet someone new and learn something new here almost daily.  Study abroad has truly been a life changing experience for me so far and it has only just begun!  Some interesting things I have learned about British life here so far:

1.      Having an outlet in a bathroom is illegal for safety reasons.

2.      Most people do not go grocery shopping themselves.  They do it online and have it delivered.  They also only buy food for a couple days to a week at a time because food expires much quicker due to illegal usage of most preservatives.

3.      Fast food is EXPENSIVE!!! For instance: a McDonald’s big mac is 7£ = about $11.25. It will cost you that much (7£) to go to a café and get an actual meal and coffee here.

4.      The UK thinks of America as their “best friends”.  They are much assimilated with us.  They also think of themselves as “the bridge” between America and Europe.

5.      The presidential election is just as talked about and broadcasted here as it is back home.  Obama is like a “celebrity” in the UK and no one understands why we would ever vote differently, but they are very interested in knowing our political views and reasons.

7.      Gas prices are roughly 7£ to 8£, which would be about $11.50-$12.50 a gallon.  Holy cow!

8.      Buildings do not start with floor 1 as the lowest level.  The first level is called G or ground and the second is 1.

I have been so privileged to have been given this opportunity and have been able to experience so many things to far!  In just three weeks I have been on the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, London Fashion Week, Trafalgar Square, a Shakespeare play at The Globe theatre, a comedy play called 39 Steps, Oxford Street, Piccadilly Circus, many museums, and so much more!  I have even been outside of London to the country to see Stonehenge, a rugby match, and what is said to be the most beautiful city in England… Bath!

Don’t get me wrong it was definitely very stressful for me the first couple of days being here.  This was my first time out of the county and I also at the beginning of the summer found out I have some very severe food allergies.  It was difficult figuring out what places to go to to get what I wanted and needed.  It was also very difficult orienting myself and fitting in so I did not stick out like a tourist!  In less than a weeks time though I was able to figure things out and feel like a local.  I even get people asking ME for directions now!

If any of you are interested in hearing more in-depth about my experiences here in London I post stories and pictures on a blog almost daily and you are more than welcome to check it out!  brittanygoestolondon.blogspot.com

Cheers!  -Brittany

One Reply to “Greetings from London, England!”

1. cspabroad

You sound like you are one of the locals, Brittany! Thank you for sharing your list of interesting things. No outlets in the bathroom- Who would have thought. Continue learning and enjoying yourself!
    -Courtney, CALL Center

Reply