5. One Last Sprint

Dear people who read these things,

The end is near, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, I can almost taste America. I leave for home in just about two weeks. Almost…there…

Anyways. Exams are this week. So that’s happening. There isn’t much excitement involving this ordeal of four two-hour essays writing sessions. The teeth are being grit, the thing is being done.

So I went to London the other day. It was a $25 trip. Pretty good for London I think. Especially if I had the urge while in America it would cost thousands of dollars. Pictures of Big Ben, The London Eye, and Buckingham Palace are included below.

I am very much extremely super duper totally excited to go home. I didn’t know coming here would be this hard. I probably shouldn’t have gotten myself engaged less than a month before departure to England…my bad 😉 All joking aside, it was a rough journey, only to be met with a sense of time speeds of a hundred-year-old tortoise.

On the upside, this is life and I am better for it. Life will be difficult at times but I have been made stronger. Through this semester I have learned that God never leaves even if you feel misplaced in the picturesque movie-land of the UK.

Being here has brought me back down to earth. When I studied at Concordia I had all these dreams of traveling and never settling, going on constant adventures. But all I’ve been wanting lately is a chance at the normal life. Now, sure what is normal is subjective, but nonetheless, I understand myself more. Real life has slapped me in the face.

One thing that I have been able to grow academically speaking is my in learning skills. The way the classes and homework worked here, I was given a lot of free time to make work routines for myself. All this extra time to study and pray gave me lots of time to think. I was able to try my own ways of learning material and take my own time at doing it. Hopefully I’ll be able to take these new learnings back to Concordia with me.

This semester has been such a contrast to my past year and a half at Concordia. There, I was busy, overcommitted, busy, constantly exhausted, and oh did I mention busy? I used to pray for breaks where I could sit and ponder life, take a breather, where I could take time each day to get my bearings and prepare for the next day of chaos. God chose to answer my prayer in this way. He sent me to England to get that breather and to be taught a lesson [more like many lessons]. I’ve grown as a person and I’ve grown closer to my Savior.

Even though many days were filled with tears, it will all be worth it when I finally run into the arms of my fiancé, my mom, my dad, my brothers, my sister, and everyone I meet once again at Concordia. I didn’t know I needed you all until I spent 137 days away.

Thus concludes my final blog post for this study abroad at the Westfield House.

Blessings to all!

Kara Zieroth

18245_10205212712690918_8047475300335460477_n 10685395_10205212713330934_8512784888126128214_n 11013352_10205212715130979_389939617680000866_n

One Reply to “5. One Last Sprint”

1. Kelly

Way to go, Kara! Many would have quit and you stayed the course. Someday, sooner than later, you will look back and realize what an accomplishment and amazing opportunity it was to live abroad for 4 months on your own.

Reply