When In Cuzco

Cuzco peru USIL yeahI have only been in Peru for about four days now and I’m quickly adjusting to my new life in South America. Some important things to keep in mind when studying abroad: Ask questions about the culture, the food, and anything else you may want to know. Here in Cuzco, crossing the street should be considered an extreme sport. Buses are flying down the street, cars honking, dogs running around everywhere it can get pretty intense. Besides the traffic, language barriers are ever present here in South America. Spending four months in a country whose language isn’t natural can seem quite intimidating but it is truly a great opportunity for personal growth. In Peru, the two most common languages are Spanish, and Quechua. Although I’ve had Spanish experience in the past nothing can compare to 24/7 immersion in the culture and language. My goal for the semester is to become more confident and speak more fluently in Spanish. I live in a homestay here in Cuzco. My mother’s name is Veronica, father is Franko and two little sisters, Fabiana and Leticia. It is incredibly often that parents or elders will ask “How are you” “Do you need anything” etc. Peruvians are known for being incredibly kind towards others. Tomorrow begins a new journey as I start my spring semester at USIL “Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola” where I will be taking Spanish, Biodiversity of Peru, Photography, History of the Inca Civilization, and Art and Design of Cuzco. About 90% of the students at USIL are international. My fellow students come from all over the U.S with interesting stories and personalities. Although I’ll miss seeing familiar faces at Concordia, I can’t wait to come back and tell them all about my experiences in Cuzco. Being in a different country is a great opportunity to try new things and break out of our comfort zone, for instance, I tried Guinea pig for the first and last time. (No, it doesn’t taste like chicken). As I conclude the first of many blogs I’ll leave you with this quote, “When was the last time you did something for the first time? God’s blessings from Cuzco. 

3 Replies to “When In Cuzco”

1. Joyce Loftus

Allyssa, it is so good to hear from you. What an exciting time for you! Going to university will be a growing time for you! I have always been fascinated by Peru. At a Festival of Nations celebration I bought nativity set that was made in Peru-that was over 20+ years ago. I just put it away for next year at Christmas. Just enjoy every aspect of being there. Blessings to you! Anika is in Australia playing basketball even as I am texting you! We skyped on Friday and it was good to see her and talk to her! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!!!😇

Reply