Just do it!

It’s hard to believe that I’ve lived in Cusco for an entire month now. It feels like yesterday that I was saying my goodbyes to friends and family. The past month has been filled with many new experiences, lots of laughs, and an abundance of beautiful views. I’m going to start off by explaining some of my favorite days in Cusco thus far. An afternoon of exploring brought me to a nearby park, where I found a group of 10 Peruvian boys who let me play futbol with them. In that moment, I knew that I was meant to come to Peru. It reminded me how God will call you anywhere and all you can do is nod your head and say, “OK God.” Living in Peru has been an absolutely amazing experience so far, but I know this is a stepping stone in my journey of becoming a missionary. Despite language barriers between the boys, I feel like we could connect over the game. I couldn’t help but smile and high-five my teammates when we scored a goal. Although I’ve only lived in Peru for a month now I feel like I’ve adjusted well because of all the learning I’ve done. Another memorable day in Cusco was an adventure filled weekend to various famous Inca sites such as Moray, Salineras, and Pisac. Moray is a famous site built by the Incas for agricultural purposes. It’s circular structure built for cultivating different crops at different climates. The Salineras were pools built by the Incas and as the water evaporated it turned into salt. Pisac is a famous Peruvian village in the sacred valley, with a hustling market for visitors. Studying abroad is about the experiences, but it’s also about learning more about yourself. Having to be comfortable with the uncomfortable. Meaning, speaking to strangers in a language you don’t really understand. Or, getting lost and having to find your way home. All of this can be scary but there is so much growth that can come from these moments. Sometimes, the hardest part is our willingness. For instance, I went on a hike to an Inca Ruin a few weeks ago and it was one of the most strenuous, lung constraining hikes of my life. Multiple times I doubted myself about making it to the top. But, there is a feeling of great accomplishment when you finally reach the top. I want to look back on my experience here in Cusco and know wholeheartedly I made it count. The months are going to fly by and before I know it I’ll be on a plane back home. As I conclude this post, I encourage you to be uncomfortable Face and see what happens. You’ll never know till you get there! 

Moray

Moray Visit

Futbol

Salty  Art

One Reply to “Just do it!”

1. Kate

Sounds like you had some really great experinces just by wandering the city. I love your advice, “I encourage you to be uncomfortable and see what happens”. I can’t wait to hear what happens on the rest of your journey.

Reply