May In South Korea

This month has been awesome so far. Now that the weather has finally made up its mind it finally feels like summer in Korea! I was visited by my parents a couple weeks ago so that was pretty fun. While my parents were here I took them all around Seoul and its surrounding areas. My parents happened to be visiting during Buddha’s birthday so they were able to see a lot of really cool things that don’t happen on a regular basis. Buddha’s birthday is celebrated for about a month in Korea but the national holiday is on May 14th. On the day of his birthday my parents and I attended a lantern festival at a temple in a part of Seoul called Insadong. As we were walking to the temple we were all expecting it to be a quiet little gathering, but when we got there we realized that we were totally wrong. The celebration felt like a music festival back in America. The air was filled with this rich vortex of sound and energy that I really cannot put into words. The temple itself was filled with people leaving offerings and reciting prayers. From the very moment that I stepped foot in the temple I knew that this was going to be an unforgettable experience.

During the past week I have been spending most of my time Pc cafés and the gym. I sat at a PC cafe until 5am this morning with my suite mates and I plan to head back to one in an hour or two to do the same thing. I plan to continue using my time like this until the semester is over. It feels amazing to be in a country where gaming is taken so seriously by many people.

There is nothing better than playing Overwatch with your bros until the sun comes up.