|

I am blessed to have experienced so much in the past month! It has been an amazing adventure to explore the places I once only dreamed of visiting.

A recent highlight was attending the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Galway. Because of our heritage, my family has always celebrated March 17 so it was a surreal experience to witness the celebration in Ireland. In the parade, some of the children from the school where I help at homework club waved and played instruments. It was fun to recognize familiar faces and it helped me feel at home in Galway.

My classes continue to be enjoyable as I have read interesting books and presented on interesting topics. It has been a wonderful break from my courses at home to engage in elective classes. The workload has been manageable and given me time to enjoy the beauty of Ireland and spend time with friends.

I am now on a two-week spring break from my studies in Ireland. Two of my friends and I left Galway last Friday to explore London. I was excited yet slightly reluctant to leave Galway, but was comforted as I realized that Galway, once a foreign city, now feels like home.

Lost tickets, forgotten pin numbers, and sore feet are all worth the amazing sights and experiences of seeing Europe. Staying at hostels is a nice way to remain in a central city location and not spend a fortune. My friends and I were at the Astor Museum Hostel and explored London for five days. We began our adventure at the British Museum, stopped at a pub for a lunch of fish and chips, explored the shops and attended a Palm Sunday service at St. Patrick’s Cathedral the next morning. We also visited Madame Tussauds, rode on the top of a double-decker bus, found the Beatles’ famous Abbey Road, enjoyed tea at Regents Park, and finished the evening at Platform 9 and 3/4 at King’s Cross Station made famous by J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books. 

Our final days in London were spent exploring Green Park, watching the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, viewing St. James’s Palace, Trafalgar Square, Parliament Square, Westminster Abbey, London Bridge, and taking a ride on the London Eye. The view of the city was spectacular and the sight of so many red double-decker buses and telephone booths was a dream come true! On our final day, we visited St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, the Borough Market, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, and the Tate Museum. We finished the day close to our hostel at a wonderful restaurant called the Spaghetti House. 

Though one friend headed back to Galway, my other friend and I are continuing our travels. Today on a train from London to Edinburgh, we enjoyed beautiful views of green rolling hills and seeing many pastures of sheep. The sunshine was warm through the window and it was a lovely rest after our busy time in London. The adventure continues tomorrow with our exploration of Scotland! 

Last modified: April 2, 2018