|

I’ve officially been here in Florence for two months and my program is over halfway over. This is crazy to think about. Time has been going so fast. My weeks typically consist of going to class, running around getting things done and exploring Florence, while my weekends are sometimes still adventuring in Florence or traveling around Europe. Fall break just finished and we go back to class on Monday.

Italy/Florence:

• Cafes: Cafe Rosano and La Milkeria
  • Uffizi Gallery – One of the most popular museums in Florence
  • Piazzle Michelangelo – Panoramic  view of Florence
  • Day trip to Pisa – Leaning Tower of Pisa

My roommates Julianne, Emily and myself at the Leaning Tower in Pisa

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Weekend Trips:

During the weekend, I’m usually either traveling or exploring things in Florence. There are several travel agencies in Florence where you can book trips with them and they will take care all of the details and are still cheap for students. This way, all you really have to do is show up. This is how I’ve done most of my trips because it’s so convenient. My trips to the Amalfi Coast and Croatia, I was able to book with them.

Amalfi Coast Highlights

• Boat Tour around Capri
  • Positano
  • Downtown Sorrento
  • Tour of Pompei

Positano

Capri

Croatia Highlihgts

• Krka National Park
  • White Water Rafting
  • Downtown Split
  • Croatia Island Cruise

Krka National Park

Fall Break:

From October 19th through the 28th was our fall break and we didn’t have classes. I was lucky enough for my parents to come visit and to be able to spend the week with them. We traveled to a few different parts of Europe. I met them in Barcelona, then Lugano, Switzerland, and finally Venice before we went our separate ways. We visited three totally different cities.

Barcelona Highlights

• Sagrada Familia
  • Park Guel
  • Tibidabo
  • Catalonia Square
  • Tapas
  • Beach

Sagrada Familia

Tibidabo

Lugano, Switzerland Highlights

• Olive Trail
  • Mounte San Salvatore
  • Swiss Chocolate
  • Water front on Lake Lugano

Walking the Olive Trail

Mounte San Salvatore

My parents and myself up on Mounte San Salvatore

Venice Highlights

• Walking Tour of St. Mark’s Square and Doge’s Palace
  • Gondola Ride
  • Parents trying gelato

Walking Tour

Gondola with my parents

My parents trying gelato for the first time

My favorite place was Lugano, Switzerland. It is a small town that is surrounded by lakes and mountains and is right on Lake Lugano. When walking around, everywhere you went was gorgeous. However, the best part of Fall Break was just being able to experience traveling with my parents. Fall break was the best week that I’ve had!

Overall:

This experience has been so incredible so far! I can’t believe it’s already halfway over. I’m excited to see what the next month and a half will be like.  I was also able to celebrate my birthday earlier this month. I celebrated with friends and gelato. It is cool to be abroad on your birthday because it seems much longer than one day.

Celebrating my birthday with gelato and friends

I’ve learned so much about the culture, some of the language and myself. Tourist season is finally starting to die down, so this next month and a half should be easier to explore more of Florence.

Ciao,

Kacie

Last modified: October 31, 2018