|

Where did the time go? It feels like just yesterday that I got on that flight to come to Italy and now I have less than 3 weeks to go! I can’t believe it!

This past month has been incredible with more travels and continuing to get to know the culture. With the cafés that I regularly go to I’m starting to be able to have short conversations in Italian. Saying things like how are you and being able to order. With one of my roommates this weekend, we also went to our first church service in one of the many churches in Florence, Santa Croce. This was a really cool experience to both see the church but also because the entire service was in Italian. We didn’t know what they were saying but it was still something that was fun to experience. It was also at the church that is just down from our apartment (not even a 5 min walk). The church was beautiful inside.

One big cultural difference that I knew coming in was that Italy doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving. I didn’t think it would be that hard but it was harder than I thought to be away from family. On Thanksgiving, instead of getting time off, I still had to go to class and it was just like any other day. It was fine, but I just wasn’t used to it.

I believe last time I wrote was right after fall break and since then I have been to Prague, I did a Tuscany Wine Tour and went to Ireland for a weekend.

Highlights:

Prague:

• John Lennon Wall
  • Charles Bridge
  • Old Town Square
  • Wenceslas Square
  • Jewish Quarter

John Lennon Wall

Tuscany Wine Tour:

• View and tour of the first Winery
  • San Gimignano
  • Meal at the 2nd Winery

San Gimignano

Ireland:

• Cliffs of Moher
  • Galway
  • Dublin
  • Traditional Irish Meal

Cliffs of Moher

Dublin

Traveling around Europe has been incredible. It’s so cool to be able to see so many different cultures in such a short period of time. Traveling is also something that I love to do and it never gets old. You always continue to learn so much about the cultures and also about yourself. I’m so happy that I ended up in Florence because there are so many different cultures within Europe. This coming weekend I will be going to Morocco with my roommates which will be our last weekend trip. We are all so excited!

I have gotten really close with my roommates over the semester and it’s going to be hard to leave them. Although I don’t want this entire experience to end and just want to continue traveling, I’m getting to the point where I’m ready to come home. It’s going to be very bittersweet. There are no words or pictures that can describe this experience but it has been so great and has gone by so fast. I can’t believe it’s almost over.

I know there is still going to be lots of learning from now until after I get home. I love getting to know the locals and to see what they have to say. My favorite gelato place is right under our apartment and my favorite café is Café Rosano which is near one of my classes.

I’m excited to see what this last part of this experience will consist of. Until next time..

Ciao,

Kacie Lorenson

Last modified: November 25, 2018