|

Buonjourno!

I have less than a week before I’m back at home. It truly went by way too fast. It’s been a bittersweet week having friends leave back and having to acknowledge the semester is over. My roommates and I spent the week enjoying as much gelato, cappuccinos, and pasta as we could. Although I will miss Milan, I am excited to go home and see my family and friends again!

Advice for Future Study Abroad Students:

For future study abroad students, I would definitely want them to know the experience is what you make it. Don’t trust and believe in those idealized study abroad experiences you see in movies or on social media. One doesn’t need to mimic those “ideals” to have a memorable time. You won’t always have a perfect day, but you make the most with what you can. Find the fun and beauty in the things one normally wouldn’t expect. Another piece of advice I have is to try something new everyday! Try to avoid the homebody habits. It’ll be hard once you get homesick and all you want to do is stay in bed and call friends/family. You just have to remember it might be the last time you ever get the chance to travel in the city/country again. Travel as much as you can.

Another thing I would want students to know is not everyone you meet will be your friend. I think when everyone is in the atmosphere, everything is new and people are so excited that they forget to be safe too. I know a couple of girls who went over to some guys’ apartment whom they just met. There was a popular saying with a lot of the international students from the various schools in Milan, “What happens in Milan, stays in Milan”. I understand we’re all young and trying new things, but just make sure you don’t do anything you regret. Your safety should always be a priority!

The last thing I would want students to know is to have fun! Not everything has to be planned and on an itinerary.  Many of my favorite experiences happened in the spur of the moment. The Italians have a saying, “La gatta frettolosa ha fatto i gattini ciechi”, which translates to “the hasty cat gave birth to blind kittens”. Not that blind kittens are bad, bu it means doing something in a rush can result in less than perfect results. Don’t rush to the finishing point. Like Italians say about Americans, we’re always on the go and want things fast. We forget to slow down, relax and appreciate the things around us. It’s about the journey, not the destination.

Gelatooo

Fondazione Prada

Park right in front of the castle in Milan

Last modified: June 3, 2019