|

I would love to say that I learned so more about the differences between the approach to mental health in Ireland and the United States, but honestly I learned more about myself. This may sound cheesey, but I am far more resilient and brave than I thought I was. I know most of you are going to say, “Alyssa, you traveled to another country. Obviously you are brave.” But this trip put me so far out of comfort zone at times. I am proud of myself for sticking with it.

I also learned that I have a way with people. A lot of the clientele at my internship had addictions, mental illness, or both. I was often able to help with calming down some clients when they were in the throes of a mental breakdown. They often later said that I had a patient way of helping them through it that some of the other staff members didn’t.

I had a lot of fun learning while I was there. It is a lot easier to see the signs and symptoms of mental illnesses and distinguish between them when you are surrounded by them than just reading about them in a book.

Last modified: August 15, 2019