|

Outside of my internship in the psychology department at the University of New South Wales, the greatest learning experiences have come from just being around the people in Australia. In Sydney, I have the opportunity to be around people from all over the world. I have met people from many parts of Asia, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, and Canada. It seems that I’m equally likely to run into someone from Australia as I am to run into someone from outside Australia. My roommate is from England and we’ve talked a lot about the similarities and differences between Australia, England, and America.

I’ve been lucky enough to attend two playoff Rugby matches and watch many more rugby games at sports bars. Rugby is a big deal here so the bars are always packed full of people. And it just so happens that the Rugby World Cup is currently going on in Japan. So there’s no shortage of Rugby events being held.

I was always involved in sports growing up and continue to watch and follow sports. Sports grabbed my attention at an early age so I’ve been immersed in sports as long as I can remember. Something I had always heard but never fully appreciated (and likely still haven’t) was how sports can bring people together. Never appreciating the impact sports has on uniting different kinds of people was likely because building friendships and connections through sports was all I had ever known. I met many friends and developed many close relationships with many people I likely would not have had the opportunity to had it not been for sports. But since I had been connecting with people through sports for as long as I can remember, it wasn’t until I’d been done competing in sports for almost a decade and have found myself living in a foreign country that I am now able to begin to understand the ways in which sport and competition brings people together. It a surreal feeling being in a bar full of people from all different parts of the world yet understanding each other on such a level that sport allows. Additionally, having such a thing as sport in common opens the doors for many connections outside of sport to be made.

Last modified: October 16, 2019