Graduate students will have the opportunity to travel to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic May 12-17, 2020. This Travel Seminar has a Kinesiology and Sport Management focus, and is open to both graduate and undergraduate students. The faculty trip leader Professor Matthew Buns is excited to talk with interested students about the trip. If you are interested in the trip, contact Matthew Buns (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
Explore the capital city of Santo Domingo, learning about the business and sport psychology behind the Twins MLB Academy and Dominican Winter League. Investigate and study the working environment and the psychological aspects of sport-related, repetitive, and traumatic injuries. You will come home with a broader global awareness and great memories as well. The trip will be a great mix of business, sport psychology, culture, and history. Join us as we explore the Caribbean’s most geographically diverse country, with mountain, desert, rain forest, and beach landscapes.
We will be taking a maximum of 15 students; and students will be accepted for the trip in the order they fill out the application and upon receipt of the trip deposit. Additional students will be placed on a waiting list.
Academic Credit Information
See the Graduate Travel Course Equivalent page for more information about course substitution specific to your graduate program. Our travel courses are multi-disciplinary and we encourage students from a diverse set of programs to travel and learn together. The emphasis of the trip reflects the faculty who are co-teaching the course.
Students should register for their Global Study Travel seminar by registering for GST 597 Dominican Republic (CRN 11089). Students will need to work with academic advisors to drop the current non-travel course for which the Travel Course replaces. Once registered for the course, students will be billed for the additional course during the semester the travel occurs.
$1,800 per person (does not include cost of academic course or airfare; estimated airfare cost is $700-1,000 round trip departing from MSP)
What’s included in the program fee:
- All in-country transportation
- Accommodation (twin and triple-bedded rooms)
- Breakfast each morning
- Excursions/entrance fees
- iNext International Insurance
- Faculty leader’s support
This cost does not include the cost of the academic course or airfare. You are responsible for purchasing your own airfare. Please wait to purchase your airfare until you receive the departure and arrival information sheet from the study abroad office. You are also responsible for most lunches and dinners, optional excursions, spending money, and free time activities.
*Note: If you plan to arrive early or stay later than the trip dates, you will need to provide your own trip planning, lodging, and ground transportation for the days outside of the trip agenda.
- Deposit of $500 (non-refundable) and a completed online registration form reserves your place on the trip. All deposits and applications due no later than December 5, 2019.
- The balance for the trip must be paid by February 6, 2020.
- You MUST have a valid passport before leaving.
- Your passport must be current for 6 months past the date you return from the trip.
- Please wait to purchase airfare until you receive a flight information sheet after the deposit deadline passes.
- The dress code for visiting with institutions is business casual. As we travel, we are ambassadors not only of the United States, but also Concordia, therefore the necessity to present ourselves in a professional manner.
There are 2 mandatory meetings (on campus or via WebEx)
- Pre-Trip Meeting – specific date TBD
- Approximately one month after return: Post trip reflection, specific date TBD
- Online registration filled out by December 5, 2019
- Passport copy (after registration)
- Assumption of Risk, Release and Participation Agreement (after registration)
- Health and Safety Information Form (collects emergency contact information and health insurance information) (after registration)
Complete all required paperwork in your travel portal. We look forward to visiting with you and helping you sign up for this trip! Feel free to contact either Professor or the C.A.L.L. Center if you have any questions about the process or the trip.