- 2016 Ireland Trip Itinerary – (the 2018 Ireland Graduate Travel Seminar Itinerary will come out a few months before departure, but will follow a similar itinerary to the 2016 Travel Seminar)
- Visiting a graduate program in Family Studies at the University of Galway
- Visiting Medtronic Corporation offices/facilities in Galway to learn about their programs for work/life balance and community support programs
- Interactions with government agencies serving families
Students will enjoy travel experiences designed to enhance their understanding of the culturally and historically significant places and events that have influenced Irish life. Activities will be based primarily in Dublin and Galway.
We will be taking a maximum of 15 students; and students will be accepted for the trip in the order they fill out the application and upon receipt of the trip deposit. Additional students will be placed on a waiting list.
Quotes from Ireland Participants
“It is wonderful to learn how other organizations around the world function. It allows for an element of diversity in decision making and viewing strengths of another culture to bring back and potentially utilize some of the methods.” – Fall 2016 participant
“The most positive aspect of my time abroad was meeting with local businesses and school officials.” – Fall 2016 participant
Academic Credit Information
See the Graduate Travel Course Equivalent page for more information about course substitution specific to your graduate program. Our travel courses are multi-disciplinary and we encourage students from a diverse set of programs to travel and learn together. The emphasis of the trip reflects the faculty who are co-teaching the course.
Students should register for their Global Study Travel seminar by registering for GST 597 Ireland (CRN 10868). Students will need to work with academic advisors to drop the current non-travel course for which the Travel Course replaces. Once registered for the course, students will be billed for the additional course during the semester the travel occurs.
$2,500 per person (does not include cost of academic course or airfare; estimated airfare cost is $1200-1400 round trip departing from MSP $1,000-1,300)
What’s included in the program fee:
- All in-country transportation
- Accommodation (twin and triple-bedded rooms)
- Breakfast each morning
- Two group meals
- Excursions/entrance fees
- iNext International Insurance
- Faculty leaders support
This cost does not include the cost of the academic course or airfare. You are responsible for purchasing your own airfare. Please wait to purchase your airfare until you receive the departure and arrival information sheet from the study abroad office. You are also responsible for most lunches and dinners, optional excursions, spending money, and free time activities.
*Note: If you plan to arrive early or stay later than the trip dates, you will need to provide your own trip planning, lodging, and ground transportation for the days outside of the trip agenda. Students who arrive on the suggested arrival date will be picked up from the airport.
- Deposit of $500 (non-refundable) and a completed online registration form reserves your place on the trip. All deposits and applications due no later than May 25, 2018.
- The balance for the trip must be paid by August 3, 2018.
- You MUST have a valid passport before leaving.
- Your passport must be current for 6 months past the date you return from the trip.
- Please wait to purchase airfare until you receive a flight information sheet after the deposit deadline passes.
- The dress code for visiting with institutions is business casual. As we travel, we are ambassadors not only of the United States, but also Concordia, therefore the necessity to present ourselves in a professional manner.
There are 2 mandatory meetings (on campus or via WebEx)
- Pre-Trip Meeting – specific date TBD
- Approximately one month after return: Post trip reflection, specific date TBD
- Online registration filled out by May 25, 2018
- Passport copy (after registration)
- Assumption of Risk, Release and Participation Agreement (after registration)
- Health and Safety Information Form (collects emergency contact information and health insurance information) (after registration)
Complete all required paperwork in your study abroad applicant home page. We look forward to visiting with you and helping you sign up for this trip! Feel free to contact either Professor or the C.A.L.L. Center if you have any questions about the process or the trip.